Last updated November 30, 2020
Thank you for choosing to be part of our community at FTC Solar, Inc. (“Company“, “we“, “us“, “our“). We are committed to protecting your personal information and your right to privacy. If you have any questions or concerns about this privacy notice, or our practices with regards to your personal information, please contact us at .
When you visit our websites, which are located at the following URLs: https://ftcsolar.com/, https://sundat.ftcsolar.com, https://atlas.ftcsolar.com, and https://sunDAT.io (the “Websites“), or more generally, use any of our services (the “Services“, which include the Websites), we appreciate that you are trusting us with your personal information. We take your privacy very seriously. In this privacy notice, we seek to explain to you in the clearest way possible what information we collect, how we use it and what rights you have in relation to it. We hope you take some time to read through it carefully. If there are any terms in this privacy notice that you do not agree with, please discontinue use of our Services immediately.
This privacy notice applies to all information collected through our Services (which, as described above, includes our Websites), as well as any related services, sales, marketing or events.
Please read this privacy notice carefully as it will help you understand what we do with the information that we collect.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
Personal information you disclose to us
In Short: We collect personal information that you provide to us.
We collect personal information that you voluntarily provide to us when you register on the Websites, express an interest in obtaining information about us or our products and Services, when you participate in activities on the Websites, or otherwise when you contact us.
The personal information that we collect depends on the context of your interactions with us and the Websites, the choices you make, and the products and features you use. The personal information we collect may include the following:
Personal Information Provided by You. We collect email addresses; names; usernames; passwords; billing addresses; debit/credit card numbers; company name; basic project data; and other similar information.
Payment Data. We may collect, but we do not retain, data necessary to process your payment if you make purchases, such as your payment instrument number (such as a credit card number), and the security code associated with your payment instrument. All payment data is processed and stored by Braintree. You may find Braintree’s privacy notice here: https://www.braintreepayments.com/legal/braintree-privacy-policy.
All personal information that you provide to us must be true, complete and accurate, and you are responsible for notifying us of any changes to such personal information.
Information automatically collected
In Short: Some information — such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address and/or browser and device characteristics — is collected automatically when you visit our Websites.
We automatically collect certain information when you visit, use or navigate our Websites. This information does not reveal your specific identity (like your name or contact information) but may include device and usage information, such as your IP address, browser and device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, device name, country, location, information about how and when you use our Websites and other technical information. This information is primarily needed to maintain the security and operation of our Websites, and for our internal analytics and reporting purposes.
Like many businesses, we also collect information through cookies and similar technologies.
The information we collect includes:
- Log and Usage Data. Log and usage data are service-related, diagnostic, usage and performance information our servers automatically collect when you access or use our Websites and which we record in log files. Depending on how you interact with us, this log data may include your IP address, device information, browser type and settings and information about your activity in the Websites (such as the date/time stamps associated with your usage, pages and files viewed, searches and other actions you take such as which features you use), device event information (such as system activity, error reports (sometimes called ‘crash dumps’) and hardware settings).
- Device Data. We collect device data such as information about your computer, phone, tablet or other device you use to access the Websites. Depending on the device used, this device data may include information such as your IP address (or proxy server), device and application identification numbers, location, browser type, hardware model Internet service provider and/or mobile carrier, operating system and system configuration information.
- Location Data. We collect location data such as information about your device’s location, which can be either precise or imprecise. How much information we collect depends on the type and settings of the device you use to access the Websites. For example, we may use GPS and other technologies to collect geolocation data that tells us your current location (based on your IP address). You can opt out of allowing us to collect this information either by refusing access to the information or by disabling your Location setting on your device. Note however, if you choose to opt out, you may not be able to use certain aspects of the Services.
Information collected from other sources
In Short: We may collect limited data from public databases, marketing partners, and other outside sources.
In order to enhance our ability to provide relevant marketing, offers and services to you and to update our records, we may obtain information about you from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, affiliate programs, data providers, as well as from other third parties. This information may include mailing addresses, job titles, email addresses, phone numbers, intent data (or user behavior data), Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, social media profiles, social media URLs and custom profiles, for purposes of targeted advertising and event promotion.
2. HOW DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION?
In Short: We process your information for purposes based on legitimate business interests, the fulfillment of our contract with you, compliance with our legal obligations, and/or your consent.
We use personal information collected via our Websites for a variety of business purposes described below. We process your personal information for these purposes in reliance on our legitimate business interests, in order to enter into or perform a contract with you, with your consent, and/or for compliance with our legal obligations. We indicate the specific processing grounds we rely on next to each purpose listed below.
We use the information we collect or receive:
- To facilitate account creation and logon process. If you choose to link your account with us to a third-party account (such as your Google or Facebook account), we use the information you allowed us to collect from those third parties to facilitate account creation and logon process for the performance of the contract.
- To post testimonials. We post testimonials on our Websites that may contain personal information. Prior to posting a testimonial, we will obtain your consent to use your name and the content of the testimonial. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, please contact us at and be sure to include your name, testimonial location, and contact information.
- Request feedback. We may use your information to request feedback from you and to contact you about your use of our Websites.
- To enable user-to-user communications. We may use your information in order to enable you to communicate with other users, subject to your and such other users’ consent.
- To manage user accounts. We may use your information for the purposes of managing our account and keeping it in working order.
- To send administrative information to you. We may use your personal information to send you product, service and new feature information and/or information about changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- To protect our Services. We may use your information as part of our efforts to keep our Websites safe and secure (for example, for fraud monitoring and prevention).
- To enforce our terms, conditions and policies for business purposes, to comply with legal and regulatory requirements or in connection with our contract.
- To respond to legal requests and prevent harm. If we receive a subpoena or other legal request, we may need to inspect the data we hold to determine how to respond.
- To fulfill and manage your orders. We may use your information to fulfill and manage your orders, payments, returns, and exchanges made through the Websites
- To deliver and facilitate delivery of services to you. We may use your information to provide you with the Services you request.
- To respond to user inquiries/offer support to users. We may use your information to respond to your inquiries and to solve any potential issues you might have with the use of our services.
- To send you marketing and promotional communications. We and/or our third-party marketing partners may use the personal information you send to us for our marketing purposes, if this is in accordance with your marketing preferences. You can opt-out of our marketing emails at any time (see the “WHAT ARE YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS” below).
- Deliver targeted advertising to you. We may use your information to develop and display personalized content and advertising (and work with third parties who do so) tailored to your interests and/or location and to measure its effectiveness.
- For other business purposes. We may use your information for other business purposes, such as data analysis, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and to evaluate and improve our Websites, products, marketing and your experience.
3. WHEN MIGHT WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH OTHERS?
In Short: We may share your personal information for limited purposes, such as to provide you with services, to protect your rights, to fulfill business obligations, or to comply with law.
More specifically, we may share your personal data based on the following legal grounds:
- Consent: We may share your personal data if you have given us specific consent to do so.
- Legitimate Interests: We may share your personal data when it is reasonably necessary to achieve our legitimate business interests, which includes using service providers to help us perform our business functions, including: payment processing, data analysis, email delivery, hosting services, customer service and marketing efforts. We may use vendors to collect data on our behalf about how you interact with our Websites over time, so that we or they may analyze and track data, determine the popularity of certain content, pages or features, and better understand online activity.
- Performance of a Contract: Where we have entered into a contract with you, we may share your personal information to fulfill our obligations under the contract.
- Legal Obligations: We may disclose your information where we are legally required to do so in order to comply with applicable law, governmental requests, a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena (including in response to public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements).
- Vital Interests: We may disclose your information where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding potential violations of our policies, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person and illegal activities, or as evidence in litigation in which we are involved.
- Business Transfers. We may share or transfer your information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company.
4. WITH WHOM DO WE REGULARLY SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
In Short: As noted above, consistent with our legitimate interests, we may share the personal information we collect from users of our Services with third-party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents. The vendors, service providers, contractors or agents with whom we regularly share personal information are those that assist us with the following types of activities:
- Advertising, Direct Marketing, and Lead Generation
- Data Backup and Security
- Functionality and Infrastructure Optimization
- Invoice and Billing
- User Account Registration and Authentication
- Web and Mobile Analytics
- Website Hosting
We do not share, sell, rent or trade any of your information with third parties for their own promotional purposes.
6. IS YOUR INFORMATION TRANSFERRED INTERNATIONALLY? In Short: We may transfer your information to, and store and process your information in, countries other than one in which you are located.
Our servers are located in the USA. If you are accessing our Websites from outside the USA, please be aware that your information will be processed by us in our facilities in the USA and by those third parties with whom we may share your personal information (see “WHEN MIGHT WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?” above), which may be in the USA or in other countries. The USA and the countries to which we may transfer your personal information may not necessarily have data protection laws as comprehensive as those in your country.
7. HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION?
We keep your information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this privacy notice, or as otherwise required by law, in accordance with customary business practices.
8. HOW DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION SAFE?
In Short: We aim to protect your personal information through a system of organizational and technical security measures.
We have implemented appropriate technical and organizational security measures designed to protect the security of any personal information we process. However, despite our safeguards and efforts to secure your information, no electronic transmission over the Internet or information storage technology can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, so we cannot promise or guarantee that hackers, cybercriminals, or other unauthorized third parties will not be able to defeat our security, and improperly collect, access, steal, or modify your information. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, transmission of personal information to and from our Websites is at your own risk. You should only access the Websites within a secure environment.
9. DO WE COLLECT INFORMATION FROM CHILDREN?
In Short: We do not knowingly collect data from children under age 13.
We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under age 13. If we learn that we have collected personal information a child under age 13, we will delete such data from our records. If you become aware of any data we may have collected from a child under age 13, please contact us at .
10. WHAT ARE YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS?
In Short: In some regions, such as the European Economic Area, you have rights that allow you greater access to and control over your personal information. You may review, change, or terminate your account at any time.
In some regions (like the European Economic Area), you have certain rights under applicable data protection laws. These may include the right
- to request access and obtain a copy of your personal information,
- to request rectification or erasure;
- to restrict the processing of your personal information;
- if applicable, to data portability.
- In certain circumstances, you may also have the right to object to the processing of your personal information. To make such a request, please use the contact details provided below. We will consider and act upon any request in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
If we are relying on your consent to process your personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note however that this will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before its withdrawal, nor will it affect the processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
If you are a resident in the European Economic Area and you believe we are unlawfully processing your personal information, you also have the right to complain to your local data protection supervisory authority. You can find their contact details here: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.htm.
If you are a resident in Switzerland, the contact details for the data protection authorities are available here: https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home.html.
Cookies and similar technologies: Most Web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove cookies and to reject cookies. If you choose to remove cookies or reject cookies, this could affect certain features or services of our Websites. To opt-out of interest-based advertising by advertisers on our Websites visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.
Opting out of email marketing: You can unsubscribe from our marketing email list at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the emails that we send or by contacting us using the details provided below. You will then be removed from the marketing email list — however, we may still communicate with you, for example to send you service-related emails that are necessary for the administration and use of your account, to respond to service requests, or for other non-marketing purposes. To otherwise opt-out, you may access your account settings and update your preferences.
11. CONTROLS FOR DO-NOT-TRACK FEATURES
Most web browsers and some mobile operating systems and mobile applications include a Do-Not-Track (“DNT”) feature or setting you can activate to signal your privacy preference not to have data about your online browsing activities monitored and collected. At this stage no uniform technology standard for recognizing and implementing DNT signals has been finalized. As such, we do not currently respond to DNT browser signals or any other mechanism that automatically communicates your choice not to be tracked online. If a standard for online tracking is adopted that we must follow in the future, we will inform you about that practice in a revised version of this privacy notice.
12. DO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS HAVE SPECIFIC PRIVACY RIGHTS?
In Short: Yes, if you are a resident of California, you are granted specific rights regarding your personal information under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
Under the CCPA, a “resident” of California includes:
(1) every individual who is in the State of California for other than a temporary or transitory purpose and
(2) every individual who is domiciled in the State of California who is outside the State of California for a temporary or transitory purpose
All other individuals are defined as “non-residents.”
If this definition of “resident” applies to you, we must adhere to certain rights and obligations regarding your personal information, as described further below. This Section 12 pertains specifically to the personal information of California residents as defined above.
What categories of personal information do we collect?
We have collected the following categories of personal information from or about California residents in the past twelve (12) months:
|Identifiers||Contact details, such as real name, alias, postal address, telephone or mobile contact number, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address and account name|
|Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute||Name, contact information, education, employment, employment history and financial information|
|Commercial information||Transaction information, purchase history, financial details and payment information|
|Internet or other similar network activity||Browsing history, search history, online behavior, interest data, and interactions with our and other websites, applications, systems and advertisements|
|Geolocation data||Device location|
|Professional or employment-related information||Business contact details in order to provide you our services at a business level, job title as well as work history and professional qualifications if you apply for a job with us|
|Inferences drawn from other personal information||Inferences drawn from any of the collected personal information listed above to create a profile or summary about, for example, an individual’s preferences and characteristics|
We may collect these types of personal information from sources such as the Internet, or when you interact with us in-person, online, or by phone or mail in the context of:
- Receiving help through our customer support channels;
- Participation in customer surveys or contests; and
- Facilitation in the delivery of our Services and to respond to your inquiries.
How do we use and share your personal information?
Please see Sections 2, 3 and 4 of this privacy notice (above) for details about our uses of the data we collect and our practices with respect to sharing that information, which apply to the personal information we collect from you if you are a California resident.
FTC Solar does not sell personal information to any third parties.
Your rights with respect to your personal data
Right to request deletion of the data – Request to delete
You can ask for the deletion of your personal information. If you ask us to delete your personal information, we will respect your request and delete your personal information, subject to certain exceptions provided by law, such as (but not limited to) the exercise by another consumer of his or her right to free speech, our compliance requirements resulting from a legal obligation or any processing that may be required to protect against illegal activities.
Right to be informed – Request to know
Depending on the circumstances, you have a right to know:
- the categories of personal information that we collected about you in the past 12 months, if any;
- the sources from which we collected the personal information
- the purposes for which we collected the personal information;
- the categories of personal information that we disclosed for a business purpose; and
- the categories of third parties to whom the personal information was disclosed.
Upon receiving your request, we will need to verify your identity to determine you are the same person about whom we have the information in our system. These verification efforts require us to ask you to provide information so that we can match it with information you have previously provided us. For instance, depending on the type of request you submit, we may ask you to provide certain information so that we can match the information you provide with the information we already have on file, or we may contact you through a communication method (e.g. phone or email) that you have previously provided to us. We may also use other verification methods as the circumstances dictate.
To the extent possible, we will avoid requesting additional information from you for the purposes of verification. If, however, if we cannot verify your identity from the information already maintained by us, we may request that you provide additional information for the purposes of verifying your identity, and for security or fraud-prevention purposes. We will delete such additionally provided information as soon as we finish verifying you.
You can designate an authorized agent to make a request under the CCPA on your behalf. We may deny a request from an authorized agent that does not submit proof that they have been validly authorized to act on your behalf in accordance with the CCPA.
To exercise these rights, you can contact us by email at , or by calling 1-866-FTC-SOLAR, or using the link at the bottom of this document. If you have a complaint about how we handle your data, we would like to hear from you.
We will not discriminate against you if you exercise your privacy rights.
13. DO WE MAKE UPDATES TO THIS NOTICE?
In Short: Yes, we will update this notice as necessary to stay compliant with relevant laws.
We may update this privacy notice from time to time. The updated version will be indicated by an updated “Revised” date and the updated version will be effective as soon as it is accessible. If we make material changes to this privacy notice, we may notify you either by prominently posting a notice of such changes or by directly sending you a notification. We encourage you to review this privacy notice frequently to be informed of how we are protecting your information.
14. HOW CAN YOU CONTACT US ABOUT THIS NOTICE?
If you have questions or comments about this notice, you may email us at or by mail to:
FTC Solar, Inc.
9020 N Capital of Texas Hwy
Austin, TX 78758
15. HOW CAN YOU REVIEW, UPDATE, OR DELETE THE DATA WE COLLECT FROM YOU?
Based on the applicable laws of the jurisdiction in which you are located, you may have the right to request access to the personal information we collect from you, change that information, or delete it in some circumstances. To request to review, update, or delete your personal information, please submit a request form by clicking here. We will endeavor to respond to your request within 30 days.