Location: US, Austin TX or Denver CO preferred
Reports to: Manager, Application Engineering
About FTC Solar Inc
FTC Solar is a fast growing, global provider of solar tracker systems, technology, software, and engineering services. We are as passionate about renewable energy as we are about our culture and values. We want to attract likeminded individuals who live and breathe Integrity, Accountability, Innovation and Excellence. We’re humble enough to know that we don’t know everything, so we love bold ideas that disrupt the status quo. Basically, we don’t want you to just fall in line!
FTC Solar is committed to creating a culture of inclusion and diversity. For us, this is not just a set of words or metrics. It drives our culture, creativity, and future success. We support our employees and foster an environment where new ideas and perspectives are celebrated and encouraged. When our employees thrive, FTC Solar thrives. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Application Engineers develop deep expertise in the design, construction, and usage of the FTC Solar tracker product portfolio. You will need strong problem-solving skills, good organization and program management, and the ability to communicate well both orally and in writing. You will work with customers, suppliers, and with internal FTC Solar organizations to solve field related issues that may arise during construction, commissioning, or operation of the FTC Solar tracker. You are responsible for driving continuous improvement of the solar tracker product portfolio enhancing ease of installation, energy production, cost of ownership and quality. You will be required to spend about 50% of your time traveling to both suppliers and field construction sites domestically and internationally.
- Drive continuous improvement roadmap for solar tracker portfolio
- Resolve customer related issues that may arise during construction, commissioning, or operation
- Work with quality team to understand failure mechanisms and drive to root cause
- Responsible for improving product design or manufacturing process to achieve manufacturability by working with supplier and internal cross functional team
- Prepares and coordinates field communications in the form of application notes, change orders, work instructions, etc.
- Set up sub-assembly level BOM, technical drawings and coordinates engineering changes as necessary
- Prepares engineering technical documents for release
- Verify samples according to design requirements
- Provide inputs in improving design, process FMEAs, installation manual
- Performs other tasks assigned by supervisor or department head
- BS, MS or PhD in Mech Engineering or related (Structural, Civil, Materials)
- At least 8 years of mechanical design experience
- Proficient in SolidWorks and ePDM
- Must have developed and had experience in designing mechanical components including assembly, analysis, and performance of all required simulations (FEA)
- Must have tolerance stack-up analysis experience
- Structural analysis experience and applying Build Code knowledge desirable
- Strong interpersonal, influencing and leadership skills
- Experience working in a multinational company is preferred
- Demonstrated ability in problem solving and critical thinking
FTC Solar offers competitive wages, growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- Life Insurance
- Short-term and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Unlimited vacation
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- 401(k) with a company match and much more
*Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet 100% of the listed requirements. At FTC Solar, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.